Speed dating glasgow claim dating com
The Royalty theatre opened there in 1879 and became famous for comedies, opera and plays.It served as the Glasgow base of the D’Oyly Carte Opera but when Howard & Wyndham’s lease ran out in 1913, the Central Halls Company who owned the property ran the theatre as the Lyric Picture Palace.This shows the view looking west along Sauchiehall Street from the eastern end, at the intersection with Buchanan Street where the tram lines curve in from Parliamentary Road.Armstrong’s Hotel is on the left and on the right with its magnificent tower and Grecian temple front is St. The tower was taken down in 1957-58 to make way for St.It attracted some big name performers and particularly in the years after the Second World War when American stars including Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Dorothy Lamour, Jack Benny and Danny Kaye played to packed houses.The Empire Theatre, 35 Sauchiehall Street Looking from the Empire Theatre diagonally across the intersection with Renfield Street was the Central Halls Building, a complex of offices, shops and a hall, designed by the architect James Thomson.During the First World War, the building was purchased by the YMCA and it became their Hostel for Soldiers and Sailors.After the war, the YMCA reopened the theatre as the Lyric Theatre.
In the foreground is the entrance to the Lyric Theatre located in the YMCA building and there are businesses all along the frontage, including a branch of A.
Three years earlier, the name of the church had been changed to Renfield Street Church of Scotland and it continued as such until it closed in 1964 when the congregation became part of what it now known as Renfield St. The city where the Industrial Revolution began was hosting its second great International Exhibition and the recent electrification of the tramway system served to further showcase Glasgow’s achievements.
The cars were resplendent in their colourful livery of cadmium orange side panels, ivory trim and plum/brown for the dashes.
( Postcard published by Judges Ltd., Hastings ) This Valentine’s photo was taken at the same location in 1932 and the ornate street lights have now been replaced by more utilitarian ones with a longer reach, providing better illumination over the roadway.
The policeman on point duty has stopped traffic so that the tramcar can turn right into Sauchiehall Street from Renfield Street. ) A tramcar heading for the International Exhibition at Kelvingrove Park is just turning into Sauchiehall Street from Renfield Street in this 1901 scene.
Search for speed dating glasgow:
Andrew’s House, a multi-storey office building, but the church itself remained in use until 1974.